Re: SE-PostgreSQL Specifications

From: Greg Williamson <gwilliamson39(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Cc: Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SE-PostgreSQL Specifications
Date: 2009-07-28 09:20:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks for the updates.

I might suggest a couple of small changes:

a) a section that explains comments like "This is not supported in the initial version" -- do you
mean in the first Beta release of SE-PostgreSQL, or not in the initial release(s) for commitfests ?
If it is not supported why mention it ? If experienced users of SELinux expect it, they might look for
an explanation as to why it is missing and when it might appear. I'm not sure if postgres DB
hackers would care if is it is not to be included. How much do these compromise the design,
and if so, are there specific plans for implementing them ?

b) something which explains the differences between SELinux and SEPostgreSQL on the one
hand (for SE fans). You've done a good job of outlining the differences and similarities with the
more standard ACL methods and that needs to be kept prominent so people with DB experience
can see the differences.

I am all in favor of external links if you can find good explanation of concepts elsewhere. This is a
very high level outline and so I'd be tempted to move all implementation details to another page --
basically everything from ""Installation" on, with the exception of the overview of the dump issues,
is (to my eye) a detail that doesn't need exposing (yet).

I'll send mail when I have a few paragraphs done so you can check it and see if you approve.

Apologies for top-posting -- lame mailer.

Greg W.