Re: error-free disabling of individual child partition

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>, Zeugswetter Andreas DCP SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, April Lorenzen <outboundindex(at)gmail(dot)com>, postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: error-free disabling of individual child partition
Date: 2006-05-24 14:41:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ühel kenal päeval, K, 2006-05-24 kell 09:40, kirjutas Tom Lane:
> > On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 11:17 +0300, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> >> Why "never set back again" ? I'd guess that it should be set back to
> >> true when it is not an inherited column anymore, that is when its
> >> attinhcount reaches zero.
>
> > Because you have no record of whether it was created locally or
> > inherited when originally created. And: do you care? Why?
>
> The invariant is supposed to be that every attribute has attislocal
> true or attinhcount > 0 (or both).

In what case does it have both ?

Or is it so that
1) islocal means that column is not inherited from any parent
2) attinhcount is the number of direct children who inherit this
attribute

In this case it should be possible to keep both "right" and make both
ADD+DROP and DROP+ADD invariants.

> Otherwise it has no justification
> to exist. I see in the regression database that someone has broken
> this invariant; it looks like LIKE inheritance is misimplemented.

I don't think that LIKE inheritance is inheritance at all, rather it is
a create-time macro.

> I'm going to insist on a fix for that ;-)

Agreed.

--
Hannu Krosing

Skype me: callto:hkrosing