Re: Postgres is not starting or stopping

From: Manish Pillai <manishg_pillai(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Shoaib Mir <shoaibmir(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres is not starting or stopping
Date: 2007-02-02 14:47:12
Lists: pgsql-admin
I have installed it using rpm..So  "bin" folder is not available inside pgsql :-(

  Manish

Shoaib Mir <shoaibmir(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
  Instead of starting with the service, trying starting up with 'postmaster' binary. It can be found in the database server 'bin' folder and that should give a little more detail failure message.

To enable logging please go through --> " 16.4.5. Error Reporting and Logging" at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/runtime-config.html

--
Shoaib Mir
EnterpriseDB ( www.enterprisedb.com)

  On 2/2/07, Manish Pillai <manishg_pillai(at)yahoo(dot)com > wrote:    Hi,

         I am getting only this much...

  [root(at)KLC2 init.d]# ./postgresql restart
Stopping postgresql service:                               [FAILED]
Starting postgresql service:                               [FAILED]
[root(at)KLC2 init.d]#

              How to enable log in postgres...Please help

  Regards
  Manish

Shoaib Mir < shoaibmir(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
  If you can tell the specific error on start/stop then someone might be able to help you with this...

--
Shoaib Mir
EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com)

  On 2/2/07, Manish Pillai <manishg_pillai(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:     Hi all,

       I have two production server .One ia already live and the other is going to live soon.

  In the 1st server i have postgres 7.4.6 and having no problem

  In the second server we have postgres (PostgreSQL) 7.4.15. Here i have made a mistake. I have removed postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf and kept the same files from the first server (7.4.6).

   After this process the postgres is not able to start/stop. Then i removed the two files which i have copied from the first server and copied the the orginal files to the exact place (/var/lib/pgsql/data).But still the database is not able to start or stop..

  Please help if u have any idea

  Regards
  Manish

  Need a quick answer? Get one in minutes from people who know. Ask your question on Yahoo! Answers .

Finding fabulous fares is fun.