Re: Sun Server Location

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sun Server Location
Date: 2006-05-18 09:22:25
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 14:19 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> > I'd be interested in hosting it with full community access via a public
> > booking system, managed via policies agreed on this list. Subject to
> > more detailed info, it would be at a site with people to operate it on
> > behalf of users.
>
> Yep. Mind you, I don't think that software exists for such scheduling,
> but if you want to write it I won't object to using it.

We'll run it by hand to begin with while we judge how many people are
actually going to use a booking system. We'll need some form of
qualification process I think.

I was imagining that we'd all have individual userids and there's be a
way to lock everybody else off while you're doing testing, but then let
others back on when in Open Access mode for test prep.

> Warning, though;
> I claim the first month after racking to work on some PostgreSQL/Solaris
> bugs,

That's a long time. Not like you can't come back for more. ;-)
But if that's the conditions of sale...

The main issue is probably the disk space for setup. We should be able
to have smaller databases setup alongside each other without too much
problem.

> and the server should run a permanent BuildFarm client.

Yup.

I'd like somebody at Sun to be responsible for the OS, so that we know
we've got the latest patch set, kernel tweaks etc. Maybe via a monthly
admin window?

--
Simon Riggs