Re: Feature-Request: Login-Procedure

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
Cc: "A(dot) Kretschmer" <andreas(dot)kretschmer(at)schollglas(dot)com>, pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Feature-Request: Login-Procedure
Date: 2006-05-11 14:59:44
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 05:58, Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> A. Kretschmer schrieb:
> > am 11.05.2006, um 12:30:13 +0200 mailte Tino Wildenhain folgendes:
> >
> >>I was not aware so many people working at the psql console
> >>regulary :-)
> >

> > No? I'm amazed ;-) There are other clients?
>
> I have the impression most people are working via some
> kind of other application which is using postgres as
> invisible backend :-)

Where I work it's about 75% or so psql, and about 25% other (various gui
tools)

> Btw, greating can be done via .psqlrc or so too :-)

I see this as a two edged blade.

While there are certainly things neither you nor I have thought of that
a login fired procedure could be useful for, there are also going to be
cases of people "reinventing the wheel" with it, i.e. doing things that
should probably be in pg_hba.conf.

OTOH, only the postgres account holder can edit the pg_hba.conf and
reload the database, while you could easily have a user editable table
referred to by a login proc that did something similar, and have the
permissions set so that a certain class of users (i.e. help desk folks)
could edit the settings for a user.

I think a login proc is more of a plus than a minus... But I'm not the
guy slinging the code (I've been working 60 hours a week for the last
three months... I barely have time to monitor the lists and answer
simple questions...)