Fixing pg_upgrade's check of available binaries

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Fixing pg_upgrade's check of available binaries
Date: 2010-12-28 22:47:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers
I've been fooling around with creating upgrade-in-place support for the
Fedora/RHEL RPMs.  What I want to have is a separate postgresql-upgrade
RPM containing just the minimum possible set of previous-release files,
together with pg_upgrade itself.  Experimenting with this convinced me
that pg_upgrade is a few bricks shy of a load in its tests for whether
the old and new clusters have the right binaries available:

* it insists on pg_dumpall and psql being present in the old cluster,
though they are not in fact called
* it fails to check for pg_resetxlog, even though it needs it in both
old and new clusters
* it fails to check for pg_config, which it does need in the new
cluster.  It does not however really need it in the old cluster,
because it has no use for the old cluster's --pkglibdir path.

I propose the attached patch to clean these things up.  Any objections?