Re: Slides for last night's talk

From: Philip Rhoades <phil(at)chu(dot)com(dot)au>
To: sydpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slides for last night's talk
Date: 2006-05-05 09:27:01
Lists: sydpug

Hey guys,

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 16:42 +1000, Gavin Sherry wrote:
> On Thu, 4 May 2006, Tim Allen wrote:
>
> > I've actually been struggling a bit with a "no-one ever got fired for
> > buying Dell" attitude here, which of course excludes Opterons by
> > definition. I have sometimes wished I _could_ fire someone for buying
> > Dell :).
>
> Some of them should be. I've had some awful experiences with Dell -- just
> terrible quality equipment and poor support. I do my most to convince all
> customers to buy other than Dell now.

We have changed over the last few years from Toshiba laptops to Dell
Laptops. Desktops have been white boxes I have built myself but we are
now evaluating Dell desktops. I have heard horror stories about Dell
before but our (limited) experience so far has been quite positive -
even on the home laptop front (not me) - I assumed they would put more
effort into the corporate area. We have had a few occasions when they
were there the next day to fix things, no questions asked almost.

Any more detail from people here?

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

Pricom Pty Limited (ACN 003 252 275 ABN 91 003 252 275)
GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
Mobile: +61:0411-185-652