Re: hardare config question

From: Mark Lewis <mark(dot)lewis(at)mir3(dot)com>
To: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
Cc: Pgsql performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: hardare config question
Date: 2006-04-28 17:47:21
Lists: pgsql-performance

It's also possible that the single SATA drive you were testing (or the
controller it was attached to) is lying about fsync and performing write
caching behind your back, whereas your new controller and drives are
not.

You'll find a lot more info on the archives of this list about it, but
basically if your application is committing a whole lot of small
transactions, then it will run fast (but not safely) on a drive which
lies about fsync, but slower on a better disk subsystem which doesn't
lie about fsync.

Try running a test with fsync=off with your new equipment and if it
suddenly starts running faster, then you know that's the problem.
You'll either have a choice of losing all of your data the next time the
system shuts down uncleanly but being fast, or of running slow, or of
fixing the applications to use chunkier transactions.

-- Mark