Re: control pg_hba.conf via SQL

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>,Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: BERTHOULE Emmanuel <pgdev(at)manberth(dot)homeip(dot)net>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: control pg_hba.conf via SQL
Date: 2006-03-30 07:54:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 16:20 -0500, Jonah H. Harris wrote:

> Enable the alteration and persistence of postgresql.conf and
> pg_hba.conf configuration parameters via SQL.

Agreed.

I'd also add the seemingly obvious caveat that parameters should be
unique. A common problem is for one person to edit a postgresql.conf by
editing in place, then another person to add a line at the bottom. The
second entry overrides the first.

I would also like these settings to be grouped together as Profiles.
It's fairly common to have multiple postgresql.conf files for different
modes of processing: Normal Running, Bulkload, TuningMode so we would
want to be able to retain that capability in the future.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs