Re: Guidelines for upgrading from server to

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Luki Rustianto <lukirus(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Guidelines for upgrading from server to
Date: 2006-03-29 15:29:12
Lists: pgsql-general
On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 20:53, Luki Rustianto wrote:
> Hi All,
> All of our application now runs on servers, I never
> tried it on version
> I wonder if there are any guidelines / step by step / special
> considerations whether it applies to database structure or the
> application it self if we want to upgrade to version ?

There's this page:

And take a look at this one too:

which covers a few issues like encoding problems you might see.  In
versions before 8.0 charset checking was lax, and you might have
characters in your database that are illegal for UTF-8 encoding.  Simple
fix is to let iconv fix that.  Linux has it, not sure about other OSes,
but someone could always download a knoppix disc and boot from it just
long enough to convert the dumps if you don't run linux in your shop.