Re: Issue in Mapping varchar datatype of Postgre to

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: vidisha(dot)shah(at)tcs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issue in Mapping varchar datatype of Postgre to
Date: 2006-03-29 08:08:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 11:02 +0530, vidisha(dot)shah(at)tcs(dot)com wrote:

> CAUSE DETERMINATION
> ====================
> VARCHAR datatype from PostgreSQL is translated by your ODBC driver in
> an unsupported datatype for HSODBC.
>

> CAUSE JUSTIFICATION
> ====================
> In the trace file, you get the datatype from postgreSQL
> ====>1043 VARCHAR(50)
>
> then you get the datatype that ODBC driver is mapping to get back to
> Oracle
> ====>[4464]describeCol: col 2 *pfSqlType = -9
>
> If you look at in the Note 252548.1,
> -9 is SQL_WVARCHAR
>
> and unfortunately this ODBC datatype is not supported by the Generic
> Connectivity agent (HSODBC).

This is not a PostgreSQL problem, it is an Oracle problem and it is
clearly stated as such by them in the report you've posted.

VARCHAR is a standard SQL:2003 datatype, and SQL_WVARCHAR is the
standard ODBC value for that datatype. So this missing functionality
means that the Oracle Generic Connectivity agent has some very basic
features missing. If it were me and I'd paid for it, I'd ask for my
money back.

You'll need to find out what datatypes they do support so you can
spoonfeed something easier to them, possibly using a PostgreSQL view.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs