Re: Bloated pg_shdepend_depender_index

From: Rafael Martinez Guerrero <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>,pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Bloated pg_shdepend_depender_index
Date: 2006-03-28 12:08:41
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 17:43, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> Therein lies part of the problem: enough disk space. Now that we're
> seeing more and more use of PostgreSQL in data warehousing, it's
> becomming less safe to assume you'll have enough disk space to fix bloat
> on large tables. Plus I suspect a lot of folks wouldn't be able to
> tolerate being locked out of a table for that long (of course that
> applies to VACUUM FULL as well...)

Hello

Exactly this issue and that you have to make a 'full' dump/restore
between major release is a big minus I hear everywhere I explain/discuss
about postgres for 24/7 and big databases.

It would be wonderful to see a solution to these two 'problems' in the
future so postgres becomes an even better product than it is now.

--
Rafael Martinez, <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
University of Oslo, Norway

PGP Public Key: http://folk.uio.no/rafael/