Re: Scaling up PostgreSQL in Multiple CPU / Dual Core

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Jojo Paderes <jojo(dot)paderes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Scaling up PostgreSQL in Multiple CPU / Dual Core
Date: 2006-03-23 16:38:21
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 00:19, Jojo Paderes wrote:
> I'd like to know if the latest PostgreSQL release can scale up by
> utilizing multiple cpu or dual core cpu to boost up the sql
> executions.
>
> I already do a research on the PostgreSQL mailing archives and only
> found old threads dating back 2000. A lot of things have improved with
> PostgreSQL and hopefully the support for multiple cpu or dual cores is
> already provided.

Can a single query be split up into parts and run on separate processors
at the same time?  No.

Can multiple incoming queries be run on different processors for better
performance?  Yes.

Has someone been working on the problem of splitting a query into pieces
and running it on multiple CPUs / multiple machines?  Yes.  Bizgress has
done that.