Re: Migration study, step 1: bulk write performance

From: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: Mikael Carneholm <Mikael(dot)Carneholm(at)WirelessCar(dot)com>, postgres performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Migration study, step 1: bulk write performance
Date: 2006-03-21 11:52:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Did you try mounting ext3 whith data=writeback by chance? People have
> found that makes a big difference in performance.

I'm not sure, there's other people here doing the OS stuff - I'm pretty
much ignorant about what "data=writeback" could mean :-D

They knew however that for the data partitions no FS journaling is
needed, and for the WAL partition meta data journaling is enough, so I
guess they tuned ext3 for this.

Cheers,
Csaba.