Re: Wish: remove ancient constructs from Postgres

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrus Moor <eetasoft(at)online(dot)ee>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wish: remove ancient constructs from Postgres
Date: 2006-02-26 20:24:21
Lists: pgsql-general

> We'd consider removing these features if they were actually blocking
> support of some spec-required behavior ... but since they don't, it's
> quite unlikely they'll ever be removed.

Right; there are plenty of places in which PostgreSQL extends the
standard. If you're concerned about writing standard-compliant
applications, merely removing the places where we have historical syntax
variants is probably going to be of little help.

I think a better approach would be to introduce the concept of "SQL
dialects", similar to "--std=..." in GCC or SQL modes in MySQL 5. That
would help people who want to write standard-compliant applications
while not inconveniencing those who don't care.

-Neil