Re: Oracle purchases Sleepycat - is this the "other shoe"

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Chris <dmagick(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Uwe C(dot) Schroeder" <uwe(at)oss4u(dot)com>, pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Oracle purchases Sleepycat - is this the "other shoe"
Date: 2006-02-16 16:33:43
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 21:12, Chris wrote:
> >>Then, even if you do write something to use postgresql a lot of hosts
> >>don't support it anyway ('mysql is good enough').. so you're stuck.
> >
> > Well, I guess the moment all the hoster's have to buy commercial licenses for
> > providing a database they'll switch to PG in no time - or charge more for the
> > people who absolutely need mysql.
> > Maybe it's time to write a sophisticated "mysql to postgresql" automation
> > tool....
>
> Converting the database itself is easy (there's a few scripts in contrib
> and I've written one myself).
>
> The hard stuff is converting stuff like mysql's "last_insert_id" to a
> postgres alternative, fixing queries that aren't standard..
>
> eg mysql doesn't force you to group by all columns being selected - I
> can do:

The funny thing is that by fixing these things, which MySQL seems to be
doing one at a time, they make PostgreSQL more and more attractive at
least as a co supported database for most applications. If you've got
to fix 19 queries to make MySQL 5.1 work, and only one more query to
make PostgreSQL work, you might was well.