Re: Clog handling on exec'ed backend

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Clog handling on exec'ed backend
Date: 2003-05-03 02:03:59
Lists: pgsql-patches

> It basically makes one of the Clog data structures into a shared memory
> area when using exec (EXEC_BACKEND is defined). It passes all the
> regression/initdb tests on Unix.

It would be cleaner to make the array of LWLockIds part of ClogCtlData,
if you're going to do it that way. I have doubts that pushing all
LWLockIds into shared memory is a feasible solution, however.

Out of curiosity: have you actually tested any of this Windows code
you're proposing to commit? A lot of it looks to me like it's not
gonna work --- stuff is getting done too soon or too late. For
example, I don't see how a backend is going to read GUC variables
when it doesn't yet know where the data directory is.