Re: make installcheck on non-default ports

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: make installcheck on non-default ports
Date: 2003-11-26 05:50:19
Lists: pgsql-patches
> I was trying to set up my dev box for multiple simultaneous Postgres
> installs (7.3 stable, 7.4 stable, cvs head) and discovered that
> `make installcheck` did not honor the default port assigned at configure
> time. I view this as a bug.

I think there is something wrong with your setup procedures, because
I've never needed such.  (I've corresponded with Joe off-list about
this --- maybe we can produce a FAQ about the right way to do it once
the dust settles.)

> Any objections to me applying this to cvs head?

AFAICS this would defeat the documented behavior of being able to set
PGHOST/PGPORT in the environment to control which postmaster "make
installcheck" will speak to.  So, yeah, I think it's a bad idea.