Re: Allow an alias for the target table in UPDATE/DELETE

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Atsushi Ogawa <atsushi(dot)ogawa(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Allow an alias for the target table in UPDATE/DELETE
Date: 2006-01-22 07:05:14
Lists: pgsql-patches
> The grammar change is the one marginally nontrivial part of the patch,
> and you couldn't be bothered to get it right?  Try harder.

:-(

I believe the conflict results from the fact that ColId can include SET
(since it is an unreserved_keyword), but SET might also be the next
token in the UpdateStmt, and yacc is not capable of distinguishing
between these two cases. We could fix this by promoting SET to be a
func_name_keyword or reserved_keyword, but that seems unfortunate. Can
you see a better fix?

-Neil