Re: Commands per transaction

From: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Commands per transaction
Date: 2006-01-21 18:28:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 12:48 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Rod Taylor wrote:
> > Is there any way of bumping this limit or am I stuck breaking up the
> > transaction?
>
> Wow, I never heard of anyone reaching the limit :-(  Sorry, you are
> stuck (short of changing CommandId to 64 bits, which would bloat your
> tables considerably ...)

Does a subtransaction receive an independent command counter?  If so, I
could shove a bunch of work into large subtransactions allowing me to
avoid bumping the main transactions command counter.

Heck, PostgreSQL could automatically create a subtransaction (savepoint)
with no rollback name. The client sending a commit or rollback always
operates on the parent transaction and the child follows (committing or
rolling back when required).