Re: BUG #6200: standby bad memory allocations on SELECT

From: Bridget Frey <bridget(dot)frey(at)redfin(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Brauwerman <michael(dot)brauwerman(at)redfin(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #6200: standby bad memory allocations on SELECT
Date: 2012-01-31 04:07:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the reply, we appreciate you time on this. The alloc error
queries all seem to be selects from a btree primary index. I gave an
example in my initial post from the logins table. Usually for us it
is logins but sometimes we have seen it on a few other tables, and
it's always a btree primary key index, very simple type of select.
The queries have been showing up in the logs which is how we know, but
we could also confirm in the core dump. If the problem is data
corruption, it is transient. We replay the same queries and get no
errors. We also have jobs that run that basically do the same series
of selects every day or hour etc. but it is totally random which ones
cause an error. E.g. If it is corruption it somehow magically fixes
itself. Also we still have not seen any issues on the master, this
seems to be a problem only on hot standby slaves (we have three
slaves). The OP, incidentally, reported the same thing - issue is
only on hot standby slaves, it is transient, and it happens on a
select from a btree primary index.

This also does not seem to be load related. It often happens under
periods of light load for us.

Please let us know if you have any other thoughts on what we should look at...

Sent from my iPhone