Invulnerable VACUUM process thrashing everything

From: "Jeffrey W(dot) Baker" <jwbaker(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgperf <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Invulnerable VACUUM process thrashing everything
Date: 2005-12-29 22:09:22
Lists: pgsql-performance
A few WEEKS ago, the autovacuum on my instance of pg 7.4 unilaterally
decided to VACUUM a table which has not been updated in over a year and
is more than one terabyte on the disk.  Because of the very high
transaction load on this database, this VACUUM has been ruining
performance for almost a month.  Unfortunately is seems invulnerable to
killing by signals:

# ps ax | grep VACUUM
15308 ?        D    588:00 postgres: postgres skunk [local] VACUUM
# kill -HUP 15308
# ps ax | grep VACUUM
15308 ?        D    588:00 postgres: postgres skunk [local] VACUUM
# kill -INT 15308
# ps ax | grep VACUUM
15308 ?        D    588:00 postgres: postgres skunk [local] VACUUM
# kill -PIPE 15308
# ps ax | grep VACUUM
15308 ?        D    588:00 postgres: postgres skunk [local] VACUUM

o/~ But the cat came back, the very next day ...

I assume that if I kill this with SIGKILL, that will bring down every
other postgres process, so that should be avoided.  But surely there is
a way to interrupt this.  If I had some reason to shut down the
instance, I'd be screwed, it seems.

-jwb

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: RonDate: 2005-12-29 22:42:51
Previous:From: Jeffrey W. BakerDate: 2005-12-29 21:21:57
Subject: Process executing COPY opens and reads every table on the system