Re: sending mail from Postgres

From: Robby Russell <robby(dot)lists(at)planetargon(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Randal L(dot) Schwartz" <merlyn(at)stonehenge(dot)com>
Subject: Re: sending mail from Postgres
Date: 2005-12-28 07:13:06
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 20:58 -0800, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Tony> Check out my site at http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com
>
> Tony> and click on the forums link, I have some examples on how to send a
> Tony> email from a function using plperl, also how to connect to a simple
> Tony> socket server and send messages, plus lots of other function examples,
> Tony> some my own and some from the original function cookbook.
>
> I fear for the future.
>
> Did someone forget what a "database" is for?

Hah! A few months ago, I got all excited because I made PostgreSQL
connect to an instance of DRb (distributed ruby) and make an IRC bot
talk on freenode when a trigger was called... it was a nice proof of
concept... but in the end I moved that process into the application
layer.

http://rubyurl.com/t3S (installing pl/ruby-untrusted)

http://rubyurl.com/Dz2 (using plruby and rubygems)

In any event... using Ruby from within a PostgreSQL function is a
snap... just hasn't proved itself very useful outside of allowing some
older PHP applications to use some rubygems in the database.

Robby

--
* Robby Russell, Founder & Executive Director *