Re: added pkg-config script

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: phoemix(at)harmless(dot)hu (Czuczy Gergely)
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: added pkg-config script
Date: 2004-08-22 19:16:09
Lists: pgsql-patches

phoemix(at)harmless(dot)hu (Czuczy Gergely) writes:
> pkg-config is a standardized way to check for a package's libs and cflags.

Standardized by whom? It seems like a fairly dubious idea to me, since
it can't support multiple installations on one machine. I see no such
directory as /usr/lib/pkgconfig/ on my own machines anyway.

> The place of this .pc (Pkg-Config) file is at /usr/lib/pkgconfig/,
> but with the patch it can be altered with --with-pkgconfig-dir.

[ blink ] Doesn't that immediately defeat the claimed purpose? If you
don't know where to look for the .pc file then you are back with the
same complaint you lodge against pg_config.

What would seem saner to me is a switch that determines whether to
install it or not, period. The "not" case is required for non-root
installs.

Since I haven't heard anyone else asking for pkgconfig support, I'm
inclined to say we should put the whole idea on the shelf until there's
more evidence that it's worth something.