Re: COPY LOCK for WAL bypass

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Jaime Casanova <systemguards(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: COPY LOCK for WAL bypass
Date: 2005-12-18 21:32:09
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 12:07 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> Following patch implements COPY ... FROM ... LOCK

Patch now updated so that it includes an additional optimization of
COPY, so that WAL will not be written in the transaction that created
the table.

This now gives two fast paths for COPY:
1) COPY LOCK
2) COPY in same transaction (e.g. reloading a pg_dump)

Patch passes make check on cvstip.

No docs yet, but let me know if this is OK and I'll work on them.

[Other copied in from the related patch thread on Single-Transaction
Utility options. With this new COPY optimization the
--single-transaction option will considerably increase performance.]

Performance tests shown on previous post for this thread.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Attachment Content-Type Size
copy1.patch text/x-patch 21.3 KB