Re: Why is PGSQL better than MySQL

From: David Rogers <David(dot)Rogers(at)MCI(dot)com>
To: John Mohr <jtmohr(at)healthconresources(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why is PGSQL better than MySQL
Date: 2005-12-13 14:36:12
Lists: pgsql-php

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 20:02 -0600, John Mohr wrote:
> I've been reading the "AP2" thread and take it as a matter of faith
> that PGSQL is better than MySQL. It seems more complete for one thing.
> I have tried to explain my reasoning to several people when convincing
> them to use one versus the other. But does anyone know if there is a
> quasi-categorical comparison of the two so that I could speak with
> more conviction other than "I know it's better".

I have been a serious MySQL user for several years and was looking
forward to the 5.0 release so that I could employ triggers and stored
procedures in some of our applications. While attempting to convert from
MySQL 4.1 to 5.0 this past summer we uncovered numerous serious bugs in
MySQL all of which were reported. We subsequently discovered many of
these same bugs in version 4.1. None of the reported bugs have yet been
fixed in any version. Additionally the implementation of stored
procedures and triggers is so useless that it is laughable that they
even bothered to mention it as a feature.

Needless to say, this fall we began the conversion to PostgreSQL 8 and
we couldn't be more pleased. As a part of the conversion I found several
new bugs in MySQL due to PostgreSQL complaining about some of my old
queries. The most egregious of these are MySQL silently truncating var
chars that are too long for the column and silently allowing one to
insert a quoted string into an integer column. Ouch! We won't be using
MySQL for any new work here and will eventually migrate all of our
applications to PostgreSQL.

My heartiest congratulations to the entire PostgreSQL team for an
absolutely outstanding product!

dave

--
David Rogers