Re: HOT patch - version 15

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Pavan Deolasee" <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL-patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: HOT patch - version 15
Date: 2007-09-06 19:36:27
Lists: pgsql-patches

I wrote:
> Hmm ... also check commit status (pg_clog access). I've always thought
> that those things couldn't be done in bgwriter, because it wasn't
> running real transactions, but right at the moment I can't see that
> there is any obstacle. Perhaps that meme dates from a time when
> GetOldestXmin didn't work outside a transaction?

On further thought, I think what I'm remembering is that full-scale
VACUUM can't work inside bgwriter, because you need to take table-level
locks and worry about index vs heap consistency. But as long as HOT
pruning involves only a single heap page I see no need for it to take
more than the buffer-level locks on that page.