Re: What is the exact Deal with Maintenance DB ?

From: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
To: Aydın Toprak <aydin(dot)toprak(at)intengo(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres JDBC <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What is the exact Deal with Maintenance DB ?
Date: 2005-12-01 17:33:56
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

This (JDBC) is the wrong list for this question (GENERAL would have been
better), but basically: you can't create a new data base based on
template1 if somebody else is also connected to it. You can only use
template1 if you're the ONLY one connection to it. This will make you
impossible to create new data bases if somebody connects to template1
and forgets to disconnect for ages...
So the postgres data base is used to connect to, and template1 to be
used as a template. You shouldn't connect anymore to template1, so it
can be always used as a template without problems.

HTH,
Csaba.