Re: Suggested HW for postgres ?

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: weigelt(at)metux(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Suggested HW for postgres ?
Date: 2005-11-18 19:50:07
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 13:05, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> we're going to buy new hardware for an postgresql database server.
> High availability is important, so I'm thinking of an
> Athlon System w/ 2GB RAM and UW-SCSI RAID.
>
> But what hardware should I use ?
> And what RAID configuration would be the best ?

Generally, a good battery backed SCSI / SATA based RAID card is
recommended, ECC memory, and a whole bunch of drives.  RAID10 is favored
for Transaction processing, RAID5 for large reporting databases is a
good compromise of performance and $/megabyte.  64 bit CPUs are very
nice to have, especially with a 64 bit OS on top of them.

What are you planning on doing with pgsql?  How big is your dataset, how
many users will hit it at once, those kinds of things?