Re: backup/restore APIs

From: David Stanaway <david(at)stanaway(dot)net>
To: Sean Song <seanpssong(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: backup/restore APIs
Date: 2005-10-28 21:01:28
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

If your schema is static (Never a safe assumption) you can use the
"COPY ... TO ..." SQL using your preferred client library.

If you want to keep the state of sequences, and changes to the schema
etc, you might be better off using pg_dump. If you want to use that in
your app, it probably wouldn't be too hard to link in the code from
pg_dump. Keep in mind though, that probably has version dependent code
in it as it looks at the system tables, and may be subject to change.