Re: Displaying current query - eliminating <IDLE>

From: "Brad" <postgresql(dot)org(at)likethesky(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Displaying current query - eliminating <IDLE>
Date: 2005-10-23 22:02:21
Lists: pgsql-novice
>> Sorry, there's basically 0 chance of that happening with any
>> reliability.  The stats system is designed not to slow down actual
>> transactions at all, which is what it would have to do to guarantee
>> instantaneous response.

>Is there a way that I can manually slow down a query or transaction, to
>ensure that I see it when I type 'SELECT current_query FROM
>pg_stat_activity;'.  I already tried explicitly ending transactions by
>typing:

>> but you'll incur corresponding increases in overhead, and you'll never
>> get to the point of certain repeatability.

>I don't care at all about increases in overhead.  I warned you that my
>request is a strange one, but this is more of a puzzle, that happens to
>have a real use for me.  It also doesn't have to be 100% repeatable.  50%
>or even 25% repeatable would be good enough for me, as long as it works a
>significant percentage of the time.
>
>Melanie

Tom, et al.,

Given that Postgres is an *open source* database, I would imagine
there'd be a fairly simple tweak that could be done to the source,
assuming Melanie wants to build the database (and doesn't mind forking
off from future versions--perhaps a big if--but her request is strange
enough that maybe she wouldn't mind! ;-)...

I would imagine this would also avoid any performance hit, just a change
in the way it's done and perhaps a simple one at that (this assumes
someone familar enough with the source and who wants to help provide the
change).  It would also, presumably, give her 100% repeatability.
(Though undoubtedly 'personal' builds of postgres itself probably isn't
something that's usually covered on a 'novice' e-mail list!)

Anyway, this thread just got me 'ta thinkin' about the "open" in open
source.

Cheers,
Brad

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: operationsengineer1Date: 2005-10-24 01:44:36