Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Check constraints on non-immutable keys
Date: 2010-06-30 15:49:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> My scintillating contribution to this discussion is the observation
> that unrestorable dumps suck.

No doubt, but is this a real problem in practice?  I can't recall many
field complaints about it.  And the ones I do recall wouldn't have been
prevented by a check as stupid as "are there immutable functions in
here".  I still say that what such a check is likely to do is encourage
people to mis-label mutable functions as immutable ... which will cause
them a lot of *other* headaches.