Re: How to determine cause of performance problem?

From: Joost Kraaijeveld <J(dot)Kraaijeveld(at)Askesis(dot)nl>
To: Arjen van der Meijden <acmmailing(at)tweakers(dot)net>
Cc: Michael Stone <mstone+postgres(at)mathom(dot)us>,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to determine cause of performance problem?
Date: 2005-09-23 13:35:58
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 13:19 +0200, Arjen van der Meijden wrote:
> Another suggestion:
> How many indexes and constraints are on the new table?
As mentioned in the first mail: in this tables only primary key
constraints, no other indexes or constraints.

> Drop all of them and recreate them once the table is filled. Of course
> that only works if you know your data will be ok (which is normal for
> imports of already conforming data like database dumps of existing tables).
> This will give major performance improvements, if you have indexes and
> such on the new table.
I will test this a for perfomance improvement, but still, I wonder if ~
100 inserts/second is a reasonable performance for my software/hardware
combination.

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
e-mail: J(dot)Kraaijeveld(at)Askesis(dot)nl
web: www.askesis.nl