Re: Slony in pgAdmin

From: Tomasz Rybak <bogomips(at)post(dot)pl>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgAdmin Hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Slony in pgAdmin
Date: 2005-09-20 17:45:06
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dnia 19-09-2005, pon o godzinie 16:32 +0200, Andreas Pflug napisał(a):
> Dave Page wrote:
> >>What's with Slony-I support in pgAdmin?
> >>Is someone working on it?
> >Absolutely. We (well, Andreas anyway) has to give a presentation of it
> >to a large usergroup at the end of October, so it's definitely being
> >worked on. We've spent a fair bit on plane tickets etc. so this one's on
> >a real deadline!
> I want to present it working, and have it released working in V1.4
> (concurrent with pgsql 8.1), so that's the time frame.

OK.

> >>When I use right-click New Object->Slony-I Cluster,
> >>window appears, but on the bottom there is string:
> >>"Slony-I creation scripts not available; only joining possible."
> >>

> See Options. It used to be located over the path, has its setting now.

Thanks, I found it and now have more options.
However I've installed Slony-I 1.1.0, so few thinks may don't work.

> >>For example:
> >>1. Create code for creating, deleting and managing clusters.
> >>2. -''- -''- nodes.
> >>3. -''- -''- sets, adding tables and sequences.
> >>4. etc.
> >>

> 1), 2), 3) is working, as well as creating pgsql objects
> replication-aware, i.e. using Slony-I.
> 4) is e.g. failover, which has to be coded yet, and some more. These
> should cover the error-prone cases, and should receive a fair amount
> review because taken from the slony mailing list quite a lot may go
> wrong with that; lot of testing required.
>

> >>I'd like to start playing a little with code.
> >>If I start, I hope I won't get into someone's area,
> >>so if someone is working at Slony support,
> >>please let me know, and tell what's left to play with.
> >>

> If you want to help, you can test, test, test.

OK. I'll try.

First note.
I created Slony cluster using slonik, and when I open database,
options from Tools->Replication aren't active (are grayed out).

> >>And one last question.
> >>There is no Slony documentation in pgAdmin, isn't?
> >>

> >No. That should be failry easy to add assuming the Slony docs have the
> >make htmlhelp target that pg does. I doubt Andreas has done anything on
> >that if you want to look at it.
> >

> Unfortunately we'd need to write our own doc, since things are handled a
> bit more abstract than with slonik. But we certainly should include the
> whole slony doc as subtree in the main pgAdmin doc.
> I don't know if anybody has ever tested to generate htmlhelp from slony,
> whould be a good start to see if it works and can be compiled to a .CHM
> with M$'s htmlhelp compiler, which would be a good start for further
> integration.

I don't have Windows, so here I cannot help.

--
Tomasz Rybak <bogomips(at)post(dot)pl>