Re: Confirm talk on 14th?

From: Reece Hart <reece(at)harts(dot)net>
To: SF PostgreSQL <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Confirm talk on 14th?
Date: 2005-09-07 02:22:57
Lists: sfpug

> We *will* have internet. If Oakland is a real problem, then you could do
> next month. The only real problem is that I don't have a fall-back
> topic, unless people want to hear my talk from OSCON (large databases).

Okay, then I'll be happy to do the dog and pony show on 9/14 at Casa
Donde. I'll bring a laptop. I can probably swing a projector if needed
-- please let me know.

Unison: Integrated Proteomic Predictions for Feature-Based Mining and
Sequence Analysis

I'll talk about a database I've put together over the last 2+ years to
help us identify and reject drug targets. I will expect that most folks
aren't aware of the drug development process, so I'll start there and
show how Unison fits it. I'll discuss some of the Unison internals,
reasons I chose PostgreSQL, some solutions to a few of the non-obvious
problems, and difficulties I've encountered. Of course, there will be a
demo.

Genentech recently gave me permission to Open Source the schema, API &
tools, perl CGI web interface, and all of the non-proprietary data. Give
it a spin at http://unison-db.org/ .

-Reece

--
Reece Hart, http://harts.net/reece/, GPG:0x25EC91A0