Re: Re: [HACKERS] Re: 7.1 docs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Roberto Mello <rmello(at)cc(dot)usu(dot)edu>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [HACKERS] Re: 7.1 docs
Date: 2001-03-25 16:38:44
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-hackers
Roberto Mello <rmello(at)cc(dot)usu(dot)edu> writes:
> 	I like the way the Oracle functions are documented, except for the
> fact that they have one huge page for all functions, which is hard on
> those on slow connections reading docs online.
> 	They have functions in tables grouped per functionality (e.g. character
> functions that returning character values, character functions returning
> number values) and with each function name (which is all that is in the
> table) is linked to a larger explanation of the function with the complete
> syntax and examples (usually two).

Yes, it'd be cool to have the User's Guide contain the existing function
tables with each entry hotlinked to a more extensive reference entry.
We could eliminate some of the nitty-gritty details from the User's
Guide that way, which I think is good.  I don't want to reduce the
function tables to just names a la Oracle --- I think the tables are
good as they are.  But there are places, such as in the discussion of
the pattern-match functions, where we have reference-page-like material
that doesn't fit very well in the U.G.