Re: pg_upgrade

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Brian Hirt <bhirt(at)me(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade
Date: 2010-09-28 16:51:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Brian Hirt <bhirt(at)me(dot)com> writes:
> I'm testing pg_upgrade out and ran into a couple of problems. First when I did pg_upgrade --check I got the tsearch2 tables preventing the upgrade from happening:
> Database: testdatabase
> public.pg_ts_dict.dict_init
> public.pg_ts_dict.dict_lexize
> public.pg_ts_parser.prs_start
> public.pg_ts_parser.prs_nexttoken
> public.pg_ts_parser.prs_end
> public.pg_ts_parser.prs_headline
> public.pg_ts_parser.prs_lextype

> For testing, at this point I really didn't care about tsearch, so I simply dropped those tables so I could revisit them later -- however, I'm confused about these tables in general, both pg_catalog.pg_ts_parser and public.pg_ts_parser exist with different, albeit similar, schemas. I think that the table in public is no longer used and was a remnant from pre-8.3 when tsearch2 wasn't part of the distribution, can anyone confirm this?

Correct, you should just drop the ones that aren't in pg_catalog.

> Anyway, after removing the tsearch tables, I did pg_upgrade --check again and it said the clusters were compatible. I proceeded to run the upgrade command and it bombed out in the "Restoring user relation files" section.

That sure looks like a bug, but there's not enough info here to
diagnose. Is there actually a pg_toast.pg_toast_2147483647 table
in the 8.4 cluster? (I'm betting not.) Could you try extracting
a test case? I wonder whether "pg_dump -s" from the 8.4 database,
loaded into a fresh 8.4 database, would be enough to reproduce.