Re: TODO list comments

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO list comments
Date: 2005-08-25 12:58:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 21:58, Tom Lane wrote:
> > o Add pg_dumpall custom format dumps.
> >
> > This is probably best done by combining pg_dump and pg_dumpall
> > into a single binary.
>
> This is probably obsoleted by events, too. Now that we can dump blobs
> in text mode, I see no reason that we ever need to do this.
> pg_restore's only real reason to live is to support selective restore
> (ie, pulling out just a few objects from an existing dump) and I do not
> see that you need that for pg_dumpall dumps.

Being able to restore just the database users without restoring all
databases? (There are other ways that could be accomplished, like
adding user information to pg_dump, but it's one scenario anyway)

Actually the argument that you would have to do both a pg_dumpall of the
cluster and a pg_dump of each database in order to obtain this
functionality seems so user unfriendly it seems like something to persue
on those grounds alone (imho).

Robert Treat