Re: Timestamp Conversion Woes Redux

From: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>, Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, Christian Cryder <c(dot)s(dot)cryder(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres JDBC <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Timestamp Conversion Woes Redux
Date: 2005-07-19 14:52:07
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

[snip]
> wasn't the whole thread. I agree with you that if we make setString
> default to UNKNOWN, there had better be a way to say "by golly this
> really is TEXT" for the corner cases. It'd be a good idea if it wasn't
> limited to TEXT, either, but could allow specification of any random
> datatype.

This makes me think, isn't it possible to introduce a special type to
say something like: setObject(..., Types.UNKNOWN), and map that to
setting a string with type unknown ? In that case people could still use
prepared statements with parameters of unknown type, it just have to be
explicit. For me that would have been a much simpler "fixing the app".

Cheers,
Csaba.