getting Salt value from server

From: "O'Toole, Adam Troy" <o0z2b(at)unb(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: getting Salt value from server
Date: 2005-06-30 16:33:27
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am using VB.NET as a frontend to postGres 7.4. With MD5 authentication, how can I get
the SALT value? The ODBC Connection with .NET is like a one step process, the
connection string and you just send it with an open() command. Do I need it to be
interactive and obtain the salt? Should I use a stored procedure to get it? It seems VB
is not low enough to interact with the process and get the 4-byte SALT, or I just don't
know how to.. I am sure there is a way to use VB as a frontend to postgres using MD5..
Please help!