Re: Volunteer wanted for PostgreSQL Techdocs

From: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Volunteer wanted for PostgreSQL Techdocs
Date: 2005-06-21 13:02:44
Lists: pgsql-www

> The output needs to be in a very simple format for the template engine
> on the main site to handle - a good example is the weekly news om the
> main site:
> http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgweb/cvs/cvs.php/portal/template/en
> /community/weeklynews. As you can see from the source, it's basic xhtml,
> with a title block at the top.

Okay, keeping in mind that Bricolage stores structured content, this is
what I need to get started:

* All of the different content data types to be stored. An email
address, and some text might form a paragraph. The paragraph is
within a page with an image. Email Address, Text Block,
Paragraph, Image, Page are 5 different data types. You can get
as specific or as vague as you like, but templating is done on
an individual datatype.
* The template blocks themselves. I.e. What is the common HTML
styling that will be applied to all paragraphs. It appears to be
"<p>$paragraph</p>", but you can go as crazy or as simple as you
like.

Yes, you can certainly change things around later or make them more
complex, but that may also mean backtracking and reediting content.

For example, if you allow people to store freeform text within a
paragraph, including HTML tags, that may restrict your ability to
generate an RSS feed or output plain text or a WAP interface along side
the standard HTML, or even the possibility of including some of the
output in the normal docbook documentation (XML Docbook tools can pull
information from remote sources).

The other item is generated content. A Bricolage template has access to
all of the content stored in the datastore at all times. Summaries,
indexes, and other fully generated data segments can be created and
outputted in any format that you can provide me with a template for. So
you need to decide if you intend to use this capability for anything.

For publishing, you've already hinted at storing the resulting data
within CVS. This is possible, but also keep in mind that Bricolage can
publish to remote servers (note the plural) via FTP should you wish to
use it.