Impossible with pl/pgsql?

From: Markus Bertheau ☭ <twanger(at)bluetwanger(dot)de>
To: "'pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Impossible with pl/pgsql?
Date: 2005-05-30 15:15:55
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I have a function find() that returns a SETOF INT. I further have a
function decorate as follows:

CREATE TYPE decorate_type AS (id INT, name TEXT, author TEXT,
last_change TIMESTAMP);
CREATE FUNCTION decorate(INT)
RETURNS decorate_type
STABLE
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql'
AS '
-- BLACK BOX
';

Now I can do

SELECT decorate(4);
(4,egg,john,2003-05-05)

and I can do

SELECT * FROM decorate(4);
id | name | author | last_change
--------------------------------
4 | egg | john | 2003-05-05

SELECT * FROM decorate(5);
id | name | author | last_change
--------------------------------
5 | ham | dave | 2004-03-01

Let's say find() gives me 4 and 5:

SELECT * FROM find();
find
----
4
5

Now how would a query look like that involves find() and decorate() and
returns

id | name | author | last_change
4 | egg | john | 2003-05-05
5 | ham | dave | 2004-03-01

I can't figure this out for the life of me.

I also have the impression that that's impossible to do without changing
find() or decorate().

Markus

--
Markus Bertheau ☭ <twanger(at)bluetwanger(dot)de>