Re: PostgreSQL release schedule

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: James Croft <james(dot)croft(at)lumison(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL release schedule
Date: 2005-05-24 13:56:58
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 08:37, James Croft wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if there is a publicly available release schedule for
> upcoming versions of PostgreSQL along with proposed new functionality?
>
> In a month or so I'm going to start on updating an app from Pg7.1 and
> would like to know if should start writing for Pg8.0 or if 8.1 is around
> the corner and if it has any features that would benefit the app.

The closest thing to a "roadmap" would be the TODO list. See:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.TODO.html

The TODO list isn't necessarily tied to anyone's timeline though, so
there may be things in there that are year old and may not get
implemented soon, if ever.

The average time between releases has historically been about 1 year,
plus a few months here and there. That time is likely to get longer,
not shorter, as PostgreSQL matures and features being added touch more
of the code base, hence require more time to code and to test.

I'd go for 8.0. It's quite stable now, and 8.1 will take as long as it
needs to take to come out, which could be anything, but will likely be
no earlier than the end of the year.

I believe there was talk about an 8.1 coming out to replace the caching
algorithm, but I believe the change was implemented in 8.0.3 or
something like that, so there's no need to push out an 8.1 release.