Re: Trigger

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Carolyn Lu Wong <carolyn(at)kss(dot)net(dot)au>
Cc: "pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Trigger
Date: 2000-07-14 15:49:02
Lists: pgsql-sql

Carolyn Lu Wong <carolyn(at)kss(dot)net(dot)au> writes:
> In the "Interaction with the Trigger Manager" from the online document,
> it states that it's for V7.1 or later. Because I'm working on earlier
> version, do I need to modify my code if the database is upgraded to
> later versions?

The trigger interface for 7.0 is the same as in 6.5, so you can rely
on the online document for now.

7.1 will have a different trigger interface (but the document hasn't
been updated yet). The key difference is that the TriggerData structure
will be passed as a parameter rather than being pointed to by a global
variable. You can minimize the number of changes you will need to make
by not referring to CurrentTriggerData all over the place --- instead,
copy it into a local variable at the start of your trigger function.

> I'm writing the C program in under my home directory. How can I set up
> the environment so that my program compiles?

Easiest way is to point -I at the src/include tree, I'm afraid. There
are some examples of C triggers in the contrib/ area, take a look at
their makefiles.