Re: Sample databases?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sample databases?
Date: 2000-12-20 19:42:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers
mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com> writes:
> Perhaps we can create a substantial test database? (Millions of records,
> many tables, and a number of relations.) So when we see a problem, we
> can all see it right away. I like "real world" data, because it is often
> more organic than randomized test data, and brings out more issues.

That's true, but a single test database strikes me as the wrong way
to go.  The real-life examples that people throw at Postgres are so
varied that a test database could never hope to be an adequate
substitute.  I think a test database would likely be subject to
"benchmark syndrome", ie it'd encourage us to optimize with blinders on.

The regression database is actually sufficient to reproduce most simpler
sorts of performance problems, once you know what to look for.