Re: Partitioning / Clustering

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Alex Stapleton <alexs(at)advfn(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Partitioning / Clustering
Date: 2005-05-11 07:16:20
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 11:03 +0100, Alex Stapleton wrote:
> So, when/is PG meant to be getting a decent partitioning system?

ISTM that your question seems to confuse where code comes from. Without
meaning to pick on you, or reply rudely, I'd like to explore that
question. Perhaps it should be a FAQ entry.

All code is written by someone, and those people need to eat. Some
people are fully or partly funded to perform their tasks on this project
(coding, patching, etc). Others contribute their time for a variety of
reasons where involvement has a positive benefit.

You should ask these questions:
- Is anyone currently working on (Feature X)?
- If not, Can I do it myself?
- If not, and I still want it, can I fund someone else to build it for
me?

Asking "when is Feature X going to happen" is almost certainly going to
get the answer "never" otherwise, if the initial development is large
and complex. There are many TODO items that have lain untouched for
years, even though adding the feature has been discussed and agreed.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs