Re: Client build of MSVC6+ patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Hiroshi Saito" <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>
Cc: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Client build of MSVC6+ patch
Date: 2006-06-28 03:45:24
Lists: pgsql-patches

"Hiroshi Saito" <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp> writes:
>> Why do we need to reorder the fields in the struct?

> Eh? Even my FreeBSD used well shows a structure object.

The standard lists the fields in the other order:
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/netdb.h.html

Even though the standard doesn't say that that has to be the physical
order, every other platform besides Windows does it that way. The patch
as given is unacceptable because it *will* break other platforms (mine
for instance ;-)). If it has to be this way for Windows then we need
some sort of platform-specific #ifdef. Considering that the code works
as-is on several sorts of Windows builds, we probably need something
even more specific than that, like #if MSVC-before-version-XX.