Re: COPY Fillfactor patch

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>,Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: COPY Fillfactor patch
Date: 2005-04-20 13:07:53
Lists: pgsql-patches
On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 02:08 +0300, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> > Anyway, when I get time, I'll finish off the patch. Unless other readers
> > would like to follow on.
> I hope you will you will get that time before 8.1 ships :)

It's very unlikely, sorry.

I'm working towards improving Business Intelligence workloads now and
this patch isn't in that direction. BI likes full blocks (and no

The sparse heap idea would use resources better than a smooth spread and
is probably just as easy to code. The main problem is the FSM is only
currently filled at VACUUM time, so putting spaces in tables wouldn't
help much until after the first vacuum of a table.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs