Re: perl garbage collector

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jean-Max Reymond <jmreymond(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: perl garbage collector
Date: 2005-06-28 05:53:26
Lists: pgsql-performance
Jean-Max Reymond <jmreymond(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I have a stored procedure written in perl and I doubt that perl's
> garbage collector is working :-(
> after a lot of work, postmaster has a size of 1100 Mb and  I think
> that the keyword "undef" has no effects.

Check the PG list archives --- there's been previous discussion of
similar issues.  I think we concluded that when Perl is built to use
its own private memory allocator, the results of that competing with
malloc are not very pretty :-(.  You end up with a fragmented memory
map and no chance to give anything back to the OS.