Re: Delete query takes exorbitant amount of time

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Karim A Nassar <Karim(dot)Nassar(at)NAU(dot)EDU>,Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>,Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Delete query takes exorbitant amount of time
Date: 2005-03-29 17:17:45
Lists: pgsql-performance
> > ...but, I see no way for OidFunctionCall8 to ever return an answer of
> > "always just 1 row, no matter how big the relation"...so tuples_fetched
> > is always proportional to the size of the relation. Are unique indexes
> > treated just as very-low-selectivity indexes?
>
> Yeah.  It is not the job of amcostestimate to estimate the number of
> rows, only the index access cost.  (IIRC there is someplace in the
> planner that explicitly considers unique indexes as a part of developing
> selectivity estimates ... but it's not that part.)

Well, I mention this because costsize.c:cost_index *does* calculate the
number of rows returned. If unique indexes are handled elsewhere then
this would not cause problems for them...but for LIMIT queries..?

cost_index gets the selectivity then multiplies that by number of tuples
in the relation to calc tuples_fetched, so it can use that in the
Mackert & Lohman formula. There's no consideration of the query limits.

That implies to me that LIMIT queries are not considered correctly in
the M&L formula and thus we are more likely to calculate a too-high cost
for using an index in those circumstances....and thus more likely to
SeqScan for medium sized relations?

Best Regards, Simon Riggs